Doing Good: YoPhI Teen Board Program Overview and Requirements
The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis has invited a diverse group of goal-oriented (and fun-loving!) teens to take a significant leadership role in our community by raising and allocating funds to solve authentic community issues. Along the way, participants will learn more about Jewish values and what it really means to be a leader.
The YoPhI Teen Board, made up of rising 11th and 12th graders, will meet for approximately 10 sessions between August 2019 and May 2020. The majority of the meetings will take place at the JCC, with other meetings including a retreat with other teen philanthropy programs in Chicago and a few site visits. The program costs $180 per teen, a portion of which will be allocated as part of the grants process. Participants can apply for full or partial scholarships, as needed.
• Teaching teens the importance of giving and why it is a Jewish value.
• Exposing teens to the needs of our community, both Jewish and broader.
• Developing young leaders who feel invested in their community.
• Teaching teens about the grantmaking process and the importance of philanthropy.
• Creating lifelong Jewish engagement among the teens.
• Connecting students to additional Jewish resources in the community.
• Encouraging Jewish self-authorship.
• Connecting teens to one another to broaden their networks and horizons.
YoPhI Teen Board Participants will:
• Be in 11th or 12th grade during the 2019-20 school year.
• Demonstrate passion about community involvement and social justice.
• Attend all meetings and events.
• Be mature, articulate and authentic.
• Have leadership potential.
• Take responsibility for raising and distributing funds.
• Attend at least two site-visits for potential grantee organizations.
• Fulfill the $180 program fee.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis is honored to have its YoPhI Teen Board selected as a participant in the Jewish Teen Funders Network (JTFN) Foundation Board Incubator Cohort 4.
YoPhI Teen Board is an initiative of the Foundation Board Incubator which is a project of the JTFN, generously funded by Laura Lauder and the Maimonides Fund.
Globally, JTFN works to create, connect, and support Jewish teen philanthropy programs. They work with educators and professionals at synagogues, Federations, summer camps, JCCs and more. JTFN promotes philanthropy and collective giving as forms of experiential education for Jewish teens.
To empower the youth of Greater Indianapolis, the 2018-19 YoPhI Teen Board, inspired by our Jewish values, will invest in educational experiences that promote appreciation of diversity, empathy, and a strong sense of community.
On May 5, 2019, the 2018-19 YoPhI Teen Board granted checks to the organizations they chose to support based on the above mission statement. Check the photos out here!