Donate a Vehicle

Change a Life, Donate Your Vehicle

Seasons go by, but your vehicle keeps standing still. Read the signals! Your vehicle is ready to do more with its life, like support JFS. It’s easy, free, and we’ll transform the proceeds from the sale into more support for our community. There are two ways to donate your vehicle, through JFS or through CARs. See more information about each option below.

Donating Through Jewish Family Services

Donate your vehicle to an individual in our community through JFS! Contact community social worker Julie Sondhelm at 317-536-1476 or for more information.

Donating Through CARs

Turn your car into cash by donating your vehicle through CARS (Charitable Adult Rides & Services). Sell your vehicle (car, truck, van, SUV, boat, motorcycle, ATV, RV, trailer, airplane, etc.) and donate the proceeds to JFS at the same time!


Fill out the donation form at the button below, and you will be contacted within 24 hours to verify your information and start the donation process. Once the donation record is completed, a CARS representative will contact you within 2-3 business days and arrange to have your vehicle picked up at no cost to you by a licensed tow driver, who will take the vehicle to a CARS sales location. The tow driver will provide you with an initial donation receipt at pick-up time. If you need your vehicle picked up sooner, call CARS toll-free at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433) to see if arrangements can be made.

Donation Process Through CARs

After pick-up, CARS takes full responsibility for the vehicle. CARS will evaluate the vehicle and make major and/or mechanical repairs where cost-effective. Most vehicles are sold via auction house, though on occasion other means will be used to sell unique or specialty items. CARS' goal is to ensure JFS receives the maximum amount of money for each vehicle donation received.


Within 30 days of the sale of the donated vehicle, you will receive a thank-you letter including your name, the make and model of the vehicle, and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which you may use as a tax receipt. This may be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for $500 or less.


If your donated vehicle sells for more than $500, CARS will mail you an additional receipt, the "IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes," if your tax identification number has been provided. This form will state the gross proceeds raised from the sale of your donated vehicle, so you will not have the burden of determining the vehicle's deductible value. File this form with the IRS to claim a tax deduction. Any vehicles with clear titles submitted for donation by December 31 are eligible for a tax deduction in that same tax year, even if you do not receive the receipt until the following year.

Ways to Give

Your donation of any size to the Jewish Federation has enormous impact, helping to meet our communities' urgent needs and build our vital future.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the benefits of donating my vehicle to JFS through CARS?

  • You may reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized.
  • You can avoid the costs associated with selling your car such as advertising
  • There is no loss of privacy or possible security risk
  • You will no longer need to pay for insurance or repairs to keep your vehicle in running condition while you wait for a buyer, and in some circumstances vehicle registration isn't required.

What types of vehicles does CARS accept?

CARS accepts most cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RVs, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, heavy equipment, and other motorized vehicles.

Does my vehicle have to be running to donate it?

CARS can take your vehicle running or not. However, it must be in one piece, have an engine, and be towable.

What type of paperwork will I need to donate my vehicle?

You will need a clear title to the vehicle and should remove your license plate prior to CARS picking the vehicle up. Visit the Indiana BMV website for additional details on documentation and procedures.

If you do not have the title, it is possible that other arrangements can be made. Call CARS toll-free anytime at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433) for more information.

Still have questions?

 Contact JFS at 317-259-6822 or


Contact Information

 Contact community social worker Julie Sondhelm at 317-536-1476 or for more information.

Julie Sondhelm
Clinical Director

Want to keep in touch? Connect with us by subscribing to our Monthly Federation Newsletter. Sign Up >